If you are looking for a once-in-a-lifetime chance to explore something unique and different while gaining life experiences that will set you apart from the crowd, then studying abroad is definitely the way to go! Scholarships and financial aid assistance can help put these opportunities within any student’s reach, and having global experience will separate you from the rest when you apply for jobs.
By studying abroad, you will gain:
- A new outlook on the world and your place in it
- A new understanding of and appreciation for different cultures
- Stories and memories to last a lifetime
- An adventure
By studying abroad, you are demonstrating to future employers that:
- You have an appreciation and respect for other people and cultures
- You’re willing to step outside the box and take risk
- You can communicate effectively with people who differ from you
- You are self-sufficient, flexible and open to new things
Where can I go?
There are many opportunities to study abroad through The Ohio State University. All of these opportunities offer the potential to meet your specific goals, such as studying another language, or fulfill different types of credit for you, such as General Education credit or major credit, depending on the program you choose. The School of Environment and Natural Resources (SENR) offers several opportunities to explore the natural world and the global community we all live in while earning ENR major-related credit. Your academic advisor will show you how to fit the study abroad program into your curriculum!
With SENR study abroad programs you can:
- Learn about the relationships between people and their natural environment while seeing rain forests, the outback, and the great barrier reef in Australia.
- Experience sustainable development and learn about the relationship between people and their natural environment in Fiji.
- Explore the geological wonders of Iceland, such as volcanoes, lava flows, waterfalls and glaciers, while learning about clean energy, land reclamation efforts and Viking culture.
- Study sustainable resources management in the Caribbean nation of The Dominican Republic.
- Conduct environmental research in China.
- Possible future trips include New Zealand and Antarctica.
How do I pay for it?
There are a variety of ways to pay for studying abroad. Most programs rely partly on tuition dollars as well as a program fee to cover the added expenses of going abroad. Several scholarships are available and can be searched/found here.
All SENR students who are accepted into an SENR or CFAES study abroad program are eligible for a scholarship from the College of Food Agricultural & Environmental Sciences, and can find the general CFAES scholarship application here.
Financial aid can be adjusted as well. The study abroad coordinator for your program can provide you with a budget letter to take to the Student Financial Aid office for that purpose.
Study abroad makes the world your classroom. Our year-round programs go to almost every continent. Go, experience, and gain:
- A new outlook on life.
- A new appreciation for different cultures.
- A uniques educational experience.
- Stories to last a lifetime.
- And, of course, a thousand pictures to share.
Earn course credit for your studies and benefit personally and professionally from the experience. Employers know the value of an international experience. They know students who study abroad are flexible and self-sufficient.
To apply go to Buckeyelink and find the application materials under the Academics and Advising Section.
CFAES provides scholarships specifically for study abroad. Apply for scholarships here.