- Enroll in a minimum of 3 credit hours. Enroll in more hours to meet other eligibility requirements.
- Submit the Application to Graduate form to the SENR graduate program coordinator by the published deadline.
- List all committee members on graduation application.
- Request the Graduate Specialization Transcript Designation form if desired.
- Complete in-person and online Exit Interview with SENR Director, Graduate Studies Committee chair, and the graduate program coordinator, date will be determined after published deadline.
- Check how your name is listed and spelled in the Student Center. This is how your name will appear on your diploma. If you need to make a change, submit the Request for Change of Record form to the registrar.
- Create a timeline for completion with your advisor and committee.
- Read graduation information emailed from the Graduate School about your procession number and cap/gown purchase instructions.
- If you are not attending commencement, submit the Commencement Ceremony Excused form to the Graduate School at least two weeks before commencement.
*End-of-Semester graduation is registering, enrolling, applying, and completing degree requirements by the last business day before the next term begins in order to receive your diploma and attend commencement in the following term without paying additional tuition fees.
PhD graduation checklist:
Oral Defense/Exit Seminar
- Work with your committee to schedule your Exit Seminar (open portion) and defense (closed portion), your entire committee must attend both the open and closed portions.
- At least four weeks prior to your seminar/defense, submit your complete dissertation draft to your entire committee for review.
At least two weeks prior to seminar/defense date:
1. Schedule room(s).
2. Submit the Draft Approval/Notification of Final Examination form to the SENR graduate program coordinator.
3. Submit the Draft Approval/Notification of Final Examination form and take a printed (double-sided is fine) copy of your dissertation to the Graduate School during business hours to check formatting only. Note: if the Graduate School does not receive the form two weeks before the seminar/defense date, the date may need to be changed in order for the examination to valid.
4. If needed, submit petition for videoconferencing form to SENR graduate program coordinator and Graduate School.
5. Email the Exit Seminar form and a picture for flyer to the SENR graduate program coordinator.
After successional completion:
1. Submit a copy of the signed Final Examination Report form to the SENR graduate program coordinator.
2. Submit the original Final Examination Report form to the Graduate School by the published deadline.
- Consult with your advisor if you need to delay dissemination of your dissertation.
- Create the committee-approved dissertation as pdf and follow OhioLink online submission instructions before published deadline.
- Submit a copy of the signed Final Approval form to the SENR graduate program coordinator.
- Submit the original Final Approval form to the Graduate School after receiving the acceptance email by the published deadline. Note: If you are not physically present to submit the form(s), give them to the SENR graduate program coordinator to hold until your submission is approved by the Graduate School and then the forms can be delivered to the Graduate School by the published deadline.
- If delaying dissemination, submit the Petition to Delay Dissemination of Dissertations and Theses form with the Final Approval form.
- Pay the “Thesis/Dissertation Fee” from your Student Center. Note: The fee will appear on your Statement of Account about the fourth week of the semester after the applications to graduate have been processed. This is an out of pocket expense, not covered by fee authorizations or the School. The fee is only applied and paid in the first attempted term. If unpaid, a hold will be placed on your account.
- Complete Survey of Earned Doctorates.