Sponsored Guest Accounts provide individuals without an OSU affiliation access to university resources for the purpose of conducting university business or engaging in non-credit educational activities. Resources include OSUwireless, Carmen, OSU email, BuckeyeBox, libraries*, etc.
*Access to OSU Libraries licensed resources (including databases and electronic journals) via library.osu.edu when accessing the resources from an OSU IP address. (Note: Due to licensing restrictions, off-campus access to these resources is limited to current students, staff and faculty).
Sponsored guest accounts are appropriate for the following types of situations:
- Individuals who have been hired through a contracting, consulting or temporary agency.
- Participants in Program 60 or other non-credit educational programs.
- Visiting faculty and scholars who are not being paid by OSU, but are participating in teaching or research activities on behalf of OSU.
- OSU employees who have terminated, but will be returning to employment within a few months. (Note: The best method for maintaining access for this group is to enter a rehire into the PeopleSoft Human Resources system)
Guests requiring access to university systems must be sponsored by a current Ohio State faculty or staff member who takes on the role of "Sponsor".
The Sponsor is responsible for:
- Obtaining the approval from the appropriate authority within the specific college or department;
- Requesting an account be created by the designated Sponsored Guest Administrator for the specific department or college;
- Overseeing the guest's activities while using university resources;
- Deciding if continuation of the guest's access is necessary.