CFAES Give Today

School of Environment and Natural Resources


Return from Leave of Absence

What is a leave of absence?

A leave of absence essentially "freezes" your academic progress in time while you step away from your university studies. While on a leave of absence, your status as a student will be changed to "inactive".

Students  go on leaves of absence for a variety of reasons, including: internships/co-ops, health issues, and family situations.

How do I get placed on a leave of absence?

You will be automatically placed on a leave of absence by the University Registrar if you:

  1. Fail to enroll at the university for a semester (other than summer semester)
  2. Are enrolled, but drop all of your courses before the semester begins and before fees are paid*

If you know that you will be away from your studies for a given amount of time, you may also contact your academic advisor to let them know and for advice on next steps.

*If you wish to go on a leave of absence but have already paid fees, your academic advisor will need to complete a term withdrawal for you (this is a slightly different process).

How do I return from a leave of absence?

If you wish to return to your studies and re-enroll in courses, you will need to be returned from the leave of absence. Contact us via the web or call 614.292.2265 to initiate the process. Once you are returned and reactivated, you will have access to schedule courses.