The School of Environment and Natural Resources offers courses at Stone Lab relevant for every SENR major.
Consider spending one week, one month or two months at Stone Lab. All majors are eligible to enroll. Click on the Course Offering Guide to see which courses are included in your major specialization. Access additional Stone Lab Course Offerings here. Review your options and if you have questions, schedule an appointment with your academic advisor by calling 614.292.2265.
Paying for Stone Lab
- Each year, Stone Lab and the Ohio Sea Grant award nearly 40 scholarships to students and educators with financial need and superior academic records. Anyone taking a for-credit class (and some workshops) is eligible to apply. Last year, undergraduate students were awarded more than $800 on average. Scholarships range from $200-2,500.
- The School of Environment and Natural Resources will be offering room and board scholarships for ENR students attending one-week, four-week, or eight-week sessions. Full room and board scholarships will be awarded. Priority will be given to students with demonstrated financial need.
- Semester at Stone Lab - A fully immersive academic experience for students wishing to pursue studies related to Lake Erie ecosystems and water science. This competitive scholarship program includes in-state tuition and fees, room and board, and transportation to the island. We will work with students to make sure they are fully outfitted with gear and any equipment as necessary. Selected students will be mentored through the process of registering for summer courses at Stone Lab and preparing for a summer on the island, so prior experience is not expected. Each student will work with an academic advisor in the School of Environment and Natural Resources to select courses that will help fulfill degree requirements (8-10 credit hours expected). The Semester at Stone Lab program runs from May 29 - August 5, 2023.
- Click on the links below for information and applications:
- Stone Lab hires several students each summer who are enrolled in a four-or six-week course. Salary includes housing and some meals.
- Duties include daily operations of the lab, including research activities, housekeeping and kitchen duties, as well as assist with tours at the Aquatic Visitors Center and South Bass Island Lighthouse.
- The application can be found at stonelab.osu.edu/applynow
Research Experience for Undergraduates
Gain scientific, in-the-field research skills
REU program runs for eight weeks
Students take one eight week class and non-class days are focused on research
Selected students receive a stipend including room and meals
Click the link below for more information on the Stone Lab REU and how to apply:
Watch the Summer 2022 Stone Lab Information Session Here: